Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Shut Your Face Gun

There are many interesting gadgets and fun toys out there. Once in a while one grabs your imagination and does not let go. For me it was this Speech Jammer.

This invention uses the principle of Delayed Auditory Feedback(DAF) to produce the desired effect of confusion and silence. By adding a small delay to the targets voice the Jammer confuses the person's ability to hear themselves and disrupts the brains ability to put together sentences.

When I saw this video, I got excited and said to my friend , "We should make one!" Then we did and made a crappy video.
It did not work as well as we hoped but did does confuses the crap out of people. In the process of making and experimenting with our gun we learned that it only works on people speaking in their native tongue.  Also DAF was originally used to help people with stutters correct their speech as seen here.
 So it turns out that a discovery to help people to stop stuttering causes others to stop speaking. One man's cure is another's poison. I hope you found the Speech Jammer as interesting as I did. If you make one your self, let me know by commenting below. Also if you know of any other cool sound gizmos, post those below as well. Till next time.
~Connor

1 comment:

  1. This was a very interesting idea. I'd like to see how well your "Sound Gun" worked, if it did.

    ReplyDelete